How to fix your ball marks, correctly!
A ball / pitch mark can cause the grass in the depression to die, leaving not just a scar but also a hole in the putting surface that can knock putts off their intended line. Repairing your ball mark restores a smooth surface and helps keep the grass healthy!
Check out the #1 Golf Tool on Social Media - Birdicorn Golf Divot Tool
1. Find the edges and insert prongs.
2. PUSH the edges toward the center. Do not LIFT the depression. Lifting will cause the grass roots to tear and eventually die.
3. Pat down the "mound" formed from pushing in the edges.
The area should now be flat and good to go for the next golfers coming through!
Video Demonstration: Kevin Na Fixing a divot and using the Birdicorn golf tool.
Reasons you should fix pitch marks on the green:
Remember that putt you hit but was knocked off line by an errant ball mark? When you forget to fix a pitch mark the grass does not grow back in that area and you leave a depression. Putting on the green is already one of the toughest parts of the game and the most crucial when it comes to scoring well.
That's reason #1 to fix your ball marks on the green. This can be done with any divot tool or golf tee, but regardless of what you decide to use, just make sure you fix your marks and couple other divot marks you see if you have some time!
Ball marks = crooked putts - Although you might not be affected this time around by not fixing your mark, think about the golfers behind you and every time your perfect putt hits a bump. If everyone helps out just a little bit, greens will be in much better conditions year round.
- You injured the green - Sure the green is part of mother nature, but you still tore some roots when your ProV1 slammed into the green. It is important to fix that part to avoid those little brown spots you see sometimes.
- You're only hurting your favorite home golf course - Maintaining greens is expensive as it is. Repairing a green is VERY expensive. By keeping the greens in good shape, you'll be doing your course a favor and allow them to keep their fees and other costs down.
- Karma - What goes around comes around! I don't actually believe in this, but I do believe that the positive attitude of keeping our courses in great shape will make the game much more enjoyable which I think we can all appreciate!
Fixing ball marks will probably not change your score today. However, in an effort to grow the game and make it more enjoyable for everyone, let's all do our part and keep our greens pure.
Birdicorn Golf Team